Sunday, January 10, 2010

Does It Still Count As Baby Weight If The Baby Is Four?

Hello. My name is Kate Johnson, and I am an addict. I don't use drugs, pop pills, and I rarely drink alcohol. The substance I abuse is sugar.

It all started a week after the birth of my first child, when I was laid up on the couch, barely able to walk (she was, um.. a large baby), watching a rerun of Seinfeld. You know the one with the Junior Mints? And I thought "ooh, I could eat some Junior Mints right now." And so I did. Everyday. For the next three months.

From there I slipped even further down that slippery sugary slope, until I was consuming a giant piece of Grocery store cake at least 3 times a week. My husband was my dealer, eager to keep the new mother happy, bringing me whatever I wanted. I had but to ask.

Fast forward almost four years and two more babies, and my daily diet still reads like something out of a birthday party shopping list: cookies, chocolate, ice cream - sometimes all three at once, and never in the recommended serving sizes.

It's embarassing.

But I have decided that this is where it ends. I spent the past four years focused on my kids - planning fo them, growing them, birthing them and raising them. My weight developments in that time have been like this: up 35 lbs*, down 30, up 20, up 30*, down 50, up 30*, down 20, up 10. Now it's time to bring a little of that focus back to me, and stop this slow uptick on the scale. Together with this blog and my friend Sarah, I am going to lose 30 lbs (preferably by this summer, but just to lose it at all is the main goal), and I am going to keep it off.

Follow along, cheer us on and start reaching your own goals along with us!

*pregnancy weight gain

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kiddo,
    I think this is great and that You and Sarah will both succeed. Remember you only need about 1 pound a week. That requires restraint not starvation, resolve not mania. I have told you before about the one time I really decided to lose some weight backk in my early 30's. I lost almost 40 lbs painlessly and at a mdest pace. No Problem, and I kept it off for a couple of years till I stopped paying attention. Of course then I inflated like parade balloon but that we will just ignore. good luck and make it fun.

    ReplyDelete